Wednesday, October 14, 2009


We went to buy milk yesterday, so of course we routed through looking for the latest possible expiration date..... and then we realized that they all expired AFTER we leave the country!...... Strange....

We found a great doggie crate for Storm and have devised a plan for her to play with a really energetic buddy for a few days before our departure. Hopefully she'll be exhausted and will sleep most of the flights. Rascal will hopefully just go with the flow. It'll be interesting to see if we can get him litter access during our 7 hour layover in Chicago.... maybe we can bribe somebody to let us in a closet somewhere.

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany

Esther let the word out on facebook, so we better put it up here- We're moving to Germany!!!

Over the summer we saw a job opening at a dream location I've had my eye on for years, right on the Austrian border in the Bavarian Alps. Under the logic of "What could it hurt?", we went for it.... after several months of being on the edge, we received travel orders with a report date of 26 OCT!

Ben is really excited about the change in job (more of a diplomatic cooperation mission instead of aircraft support), and Esther is excited about the adventure (REALLY sad about the great colleagues and students she'll be saying goodbye to). Although we're able to take Rascal and Storm, we also made the tough decision that Harley and Stella are much less likely to handle the stress of an overseas flight very well.... Although we love them, we found an AWESOME couple who are happy to give them a new home. They've been married for a year and a half, are fixing up a house and looking forward to some companionship (sounds familiar!).


So we have a few weeks to sell our beloved Honda Accord and rent out our house. It's been a really tough, busy summer getting the fixer-upper into rental condition. More to follow....