Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Snowy April Day...

Ben & I drove up to Powder Mountain last night to close out the ski season and we were hit with several inches of snow while we were there. :) It made for a cold night but some really great, soft snow. At first I was a bit shaky and unsure of skiing this type of snow since I hadn't really seen it since our first ski day in December 2007 (some of you may recall that I had a really bad experience that day). But it didn't take me long to figure out how fun it is to swish through a top layer of powder snow and let it catch the edge of your ski as you glide along. So before I knew it Ben was saying "I think you're ready for a blue." (For those of you who don't ski, a green circle is an easy slope, a blue square is steeper and then a black diamond is expert or very difficult.) I started out a bit concerned when I stood at the top and couldn't see much further than 10 feet b/c the drop was so steep but was very proud of myself when I made it to the bottom (almost) unscathed. I did take one turn too wide into a couple feet of soft powder and landed squarely on my butt! That was my only fall of the night (and only my second fall of the year) so I feel confident that beginning next season I will be able to ski more WITH Ben instead of only riding the lift together (he gets very bored of the green runs that I like). So we had been skiing for about 5 hours when the cold finally got to us and we decided to head home where there was NO snow.
I am proud to call myself a Utah skier. Now I will look forward to next year's season to continue to learn and improve. So, who's gonna come skiing with me next year???

1 comment:

Crystal said...

way to go, esther! super skiing!

we miss you! can't wait for you to meet jay and all the new babies--when are you coming back to philly?