Saturday, August 30, 2008

politics....hmmm

With this being an election year, and being married to a man who enjoys following politics, and living in Utah where everyone thinks Mitt Romney is the only man for the job, I cannot help but pay attention to what is going on. I was surprised but not shocked when McCain announced his running mate yesterday...fascinated is the better word. Ben & I were laughing together as we discussed yesterday how a year ago we would have thought it so strange that a woman would be a hunter/fisher/moose burger eater. Now, it just seems barely out of the norm but certainly acceptable. I have heard a lot of commentary on "McCain is too old, he'll die in office" "Obama will have to up security while he is in office" "I'd vote for him just to have a first black President", etc. I don't follow much of the early campainging because it makes me sick. They seem to have no character and just be out for one another's blood. So, when a friend posted this video on her blog, I thought, "it's not worth the time. these things are always editorial anyway." But, like any good blog reader, I pursued. I'm not sorry that I did. I do not believe that any president, pro-choice or pro-life will make any major changes in our laws for better or worse. I think it has to be more local than that. But, I do beleive that how a politician votes on these matters shows what he believes are core values. And how life is valued is very important in a world leader. I should say that I believe in everyone's right to life and that no one should have a right to compromise that life at any age or stage from conception to deathbed throws. I believe in the freedom of speech, the freedom of religion, and (now more than ever, that I live in Utah) the seperation of church and state. I believe they can all work together if people would stop pushing agendas and start looking at what is best for our society and others and stop thinking of ourselves first.

Ok, enough of the soap box. Check out this video on how Obama has voted in relation to abortion. You will be shocked. I hope you are scared and sad as well, but this is important, not because of what he will do about this issue as President, but because of how he values life, the lives of American people and soldiers and how he values lives of countless unknowns who he will effect as a powerful world leader.



2 comments:

Natalie said...

okay... that was horrible. i shouldn't have watched it, but i should have... yikes. speechless.

parrishpalace said...

Oh, how the Lord must be grieved!