Monday, October 22, 2007

Something Sad, Something Funny, Something to Celebrate!

Today is October 22, 2007...2 years since Ben & I got married! WOOOOHOOOO! I was just thinking today about how if someone had told me on my wedding day that exactly 2 years later I would be driving to SLC for my job as an Elementary Counselor, visiting a child in the Hospital at Univ of Utah and then driving home to my gorgeous house and 3 cats....to celebrate my anniversary with my husband over frozen fajitas I don't think I would have beleived it. But here I am...and happy as can be. :)

So the something sad is that one of my students, an 8 yr old boy named Sam was in a car accident with his father this weekend. His father fell asleep at the wheel and they hit a huge steel light post. He is ok, stable but really banged up and almost lost an eye. Poor kid. I visited him today with another staff member and he was better than I expected but will need a lot of time to recover. Please pray for him and his family at this time. I don't beleive they know the Lord and there are a lot of shady issues. His parents are not married and it is suspected that his dad has been using drugs...which may have contributed to the accident. Also pray for me as I will continue to counsel him when he comes back to school...and i'm sure he will have some fear and anxiety issues on top of his other issues. Poor kid!

Ok, so the something funny is a story that happened this weekend. We cleaned house and I had asked Ben to take the bath mats down to put them in the laundry. He agreed, disappeared and reappeared some few minutes later. I asked him if he had put the bath mats in the laundry and he said yes. (I find that we both forget things half way through doing them so we check on each other for stuff like this...now that we have a whole house to clean and not just an apartment, things get easily misplaced or forgotten) Anyway, later that night we started to get ready for bed and I noticed that the rugs were still missing. So, I announced to Ben that one of us needs to go down and pull them out of the washer to dry. He looked at me with a distraught face which seemed to say "I don't want to go back down there tonight" so I offered to go do it myself. That was when he said "But I never started the washing machine." I said "what do you mean, what happened?" He replied "I don't want to talk about it" and walked into the other room. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT....WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T START THE WASH? I DON'T UNDERSTAND." I said, following him into the room where he was lying on the bed face down as if he was hoping to avoid the conversation. At this point I couldn't help but laugh b/c I was so confused as to what was going on. What horrible thing could have happened in the basement to have caused this reaction. I continued questioning him through my laughter and he continued to say cryptic things like "I don't know" "I don't want to talk about it"....it finally turns out that he just did get distracted and he did "put the mats in the wash", he just didn't start the washing machine. He had no reason why, he just didn't. So we layed in bed laughing as hard as I can remember ever laughing at this whole situation...that he just didn't start the washer, that he got so embarrassed that he ran away from me and that he was so tired that he couldn't make me understand what had happened...and meanwhile i couldn't imagine the horrible thing that he didn't want to talk about. HAHAHAHAHAHA I mean, you probably had to be there...but hopefully you can imagine the situation and understand how ridiculous it was. Oh, and the bath mats did finally get cleaned. :)

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

Jessie said...

Yes...Happy Anniversary to you! It goes fast, doesn't it? It's fun to read your blog. We have a blog, too.... www.treyandjessie.blogspot.com
Looks like you guys are enjoying life in SLC.

Natalie said...

ben's getting old! ;o)

oz does that kind of stuff all the time. me, i never do it! haha.

Beth said...

Happy belated anniversary!!!!!!

ps- your funny story cracked me up! HAHAHAHA!

Natalie said...

i sent you an email, just letting you know to check it! ;o)

Darlene said...

Happy belated anniversary and I think you have a birthday coming up, don't you Queen Esther? I enjoy reading what good things God is doing in your lives.
mom B