Monday, May 21, 2007

One minor flaw

Well, we keep finding out new things that rock about Ogden. Over the last few years, the city has lured some major ski manufacturers to come to town (Salomon, Descente, Rosignoll), and they're all chipping in to fund a major recreation center in the downtown. It used to be a mall that went backrupt, now it's a huge construction site. It will feature the biggest indoor rock climbing wall in Utah, one of those stationary "surf" waves that you can surf, and...... my favorite.... a vertical wind tunnel/sky diving simulator!! Not sure when it will be complete but here's the link:

http://www.ogdencity.com/mall.salomoncenter.html

Jenny Porter, you definitely need to come visit!!

Ok, the only fly in the ointment: Beer. I've heard a lot about Utah's liquor laws, and looking for some beer the other night was my first negative experience here in Utah land. First off, almost all beer sold at restaurants and stores is limited to 3.2% alcohol by volume, whereas the normal is like 5.6%. So they call the Utah suds "near beer", which to me is like diet soda. Anyway, the only time you can get real beer ("full stregth beer") is A) at a state liquor store or B) at a bar that you must become a member of and not bring anyone under 21 to even enter the premises. Which isn't that bad, and there's even a state store 2 miles away from us in Layton.


So off I go looking for it, and of course it's not signed, and burried WAAAAYYYYY back in this huge outlet/strip mall behind a Chevy dealership. So of course I couldn't see it and needed to stop and ask for directions. So I pull up to an auto parts place thinking, heck, they probably drink beer and won't tell me I'm going to hell or something. I go in, and ask a guy, and he tells me three times that they do not sell liquor in this part of Utah. I got the sense that I've offended him and his beliefs about alcohol, so I turned to leave, and then he called me back and said he was kidding, and that it was behind the Chevy dealership. So I thanked him a lot, and as I was leaving, the guy at the cash register called out, "But you won't get to heaven!". I looked back to see if he was just joking with me, but he was definitely serious!!

Definitely an interesting night! Still, so far that was the only negative experience I've had here. The state store ended up being really pitiful, only a few sad cases and way expensive. Looks like we're gonna take a few trips to Wyoming to get the real stuff, or I can ask my captain buddy in the office to hook me up from the PX.

6 comments:

Felicity said...

Kyle wants to know if you want us to ship you some beer. Would you prefer a 4'x4' or 4'x10' pallet? :o)
We are glad to hear you are both doing well & I have been really enjoying keeping up with you two on here. Great idea!!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's a sign...

Phil said...

You could always learn to make your own moonshine during off hours.

Besther said...

haha...fel, i'll check with ben on the size of the pallet, but you can always count on my lightweight husband to rise to the occasion...
Phil, it's funny you say that b/c ben has had a "make your own beer kit" since we were married and i wonder if now is when he will finally open the box and see what there is to it...
and anonymous...well, i don't think it's a sign, but i sure know ben will enjoy his trip home at the end of the month for dave's wedding...beer will be consumed, cigars will be smoked...and if he still smells like it by the time he gets home, he'll learn all about how comfy the couch is (or isn't) to sleep on! haha

Besther said...

ps...debbie is that you (anonymous)?

Anonymous said...

One minor correction. The Utah beer you refer to isn't 3.2% alcohol by volume. it's 4.0% percent by volume. If your measuring the alcohol by wieght, in stead of by volume it would be 3.2%